It has been my pleasure to provide therapy services here in Juneau. I have accepted a position as the executive director at Gastineau Human Services. In this new role I will be helping the organization in its efforts to assist many in our community. As a result, I have closed down my practice. I have been reaching out to other providers in the area to find some who have availability for a to take on new clients. I have compiled a list with details regarding their areas of expertise and payment methods accepted. The list is available below and will be regularly updated in the coming weeks as I identify any additional therapists with availability.
If you are an existing client and choose to move forward with therapy with someone else, I am happy to provide the new therapist with records or have a conversation with the new provider to help minimize the impact of the switch. If you request this, please fill out the release of information form and return it to me via fax (907-600-4952) or email at (email@example.com).
If you desire to keep any of your records in your own custody, I am happy to provide you with them if you make a written request over the next month (email is fine) as described in the Notice of Privacy Practices (December 1, 2022).
Jonathan Swinton, Ph.D., LMFT, MedFT
A comprehensive list of the private practice therapists in the Juneau area with information regarding availability, areas of expertise, and payment methods accepted can be found here: Private Practice Providers | Juneau Mental Health
A list of the available community mental health services in the area can be found here: Community Mental Health Orgs | Juneau Mental Health
Therapists who have informed me they are accepting new clients at this time:
- Treatment expertise: Anxiety and associated challenges
- Phone: (907) 723-1308
- Website: Boreal Therapy LLC (borealtherapist.com)
- Treatment expertise: I work with a variety of issues including but not limited to anxiety, depression, anger, oppositional defiance, trauma, addictions, relationship issues, career/school.
- Website: https://www.midnightsuncac.org/
- Phone: (907) 957-4920
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Payment options: Aetna, Premera Blue Cross, ComPsych (EAP and CuraLinc(EAP)
- Treatment expertise: Post-traumatic stress & growth, anxiety, depression, identity curiosities, chronic disease, and life transitions.
- Website: https://bridget-kuhar.clientsecure.me/
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: (737) 529-6880
- Payment options: Preferred Provider with Premera and Aetna. Will provide superbills for self-pay clients.
- Treatment expertise: Anxiety; Depression; Anger; Relationship issues; Codependency; Career/school.
- Website: Tom McCabe, MA, LPC – Licensed Professional Counselor, Juneau, Alaska (alaskapsychotherapy.com)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: (907) 209-6336
- Payment options: Clients pay by cash, check or credit card at time of service. I do not bill insurance directly. Instead, I provide a superbill so that clients can file their own insurance claims.
Shawn Hatt Cohen
- Treatment expertise: I am comfortable working with individuals, children and teens with special needs, anxiety, depression, grief/loss, trauma, LGBTQ+. Right now I am not working with couples or families. I provide person-centered counseling using art, CBT, solution focused brief therapy, mindfulness and DBT.
- Website: shawn-hatt-cohen.clientsecure.me
- Email: email@example.com
- Payment options: I am a self-pay office.
- Treatment expertise: I work with adults seeking individual psychotherapy for substance use disorders, trauma (I offer EMDR and some yoga-based approaches), anxiety, depression, eating disorders, and codependency/attachment issues.
- Website: After The Rain Psychotherapy – Social work in Juneau, AK (clientsecure.me)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 360.255.0155
- Payment options: I am in-network with Aetna and in the application process with BCBS. I am out of network for all others but I can provide a super bill for the client to submit to their insurance for reimbursement based on their plan. I accept credit cards at time of service for self-pay clients. My rate is $175/hr.
I am accepting client referrals for children ages 3-18 that want in-person services. I special in treatment families and children who have experienced trauma. Please feel free to direct them to my website: https://thewoodscounseling.wixsite.com/website
I am accepting outside of Juneau clients for telehealth, and accept BCBS and Medicare part b (for the over 65 crowd). I’m an individual (18+ and over) and couples psychotherapist, and do EMDR and emotion focused/attachment based/ polyvagal therapy with couples, and mindfulness -based, somatic oriented work (IFS/ACT/non-dual/hakomi) with individuals. Although my practice is generally very full, I am trying to cultivate my non-Juneau based telehealth /couples work and thus would potentially have space for 1-4 of those category clients (or couples) in the next few months.
Therapists who have informed me they are accepting new clients on a wait list:
SEARHC Behavioral Health:
- Website: Juneau Behavioral Health – SEARHC
- Phone: 907.364.4445
- Treatment Expertise: Substance use and mental health services, Counseling for adults, couples, children, youth, and families, Health prevention education services, Psychological testing (upon referral), Psychiatric evaluations and medication management, Telemedicine services, Case management/rehabilitation services
- Insurance accepted: Most insurance companies (including Medicaid)
- Treatment Expertise: EFT Couples Therapy, Chronic and Shock Trauma, Attachment Disruptions, PTSD, Early Attachment Trauma, Grief/Loss, Anxiety, Family issues, Parenting, Women’s issues, Gender Identity, Depression, Older Adults
- Website: https://noelle-blanc.clientsecure.me/, https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/therapists/noelle-blanc-juneau-ak/952394
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: (907) 586-0545
- Insurance Accepted: Preferred Provider with Premera and Aetna. Will provide superbills for self-pay clients.
Therapists who accept Alaska Medicaid
Private practice therapists around the state who can work via telehealth: Find Online Therapy in Alaska – Psychology Today
Community Mental Health in Juneau: Community Mental Health Orgs | Juneau Mental Health
Other places to look for a licensed therapist:
Psychology Today: Health, Help, Happiness + Find a Therapist
GoodTherapy – Find the Right Therapist
A list of the available support groups in Juneau:
- Juneau Alaska Fellowship of Alcoholics Anonymous
- NAMI Support Groups
- Circle of Brothers- A Healing Group for Men (Tlingit & Haida)
- Bartlett Regional Hospital Social Connections and Support Groups
- Spectrum: LGBTQ+ Trauma Support Group (AWARE)
- T-Group for Transgender and Gender Diverse Individuals (Margie Thomson)
- Trans Youth Support Group (Margie Thomson)
- Alaska Parents of Trans Youth Support Group (TransFamilies)
- Eating Disorder Support Groups – virtual (AKEDA)
- Cancer Connection Support Groups
- Support Groups for UAS Students